Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Trash to Treasure Tuesday

The second hand store is starting to put out their Christmas decorations and there are a TON of them.  I'm not normally a seasonal decorator but a few things catch my eye.  These stoneware plates did.  The snowflakes are so big and they are puffy giving them a 3 dimensional look.  
Each one under 50 cents I decided they were worth a shot at making pretty.



If you liked them before you might want to stop reading.  I didn't like the brown color.  
I painted them all white.


Then I painted one a soft blue,one a soft pink and kept one white.


Gave them a bit of distressing bring out the dimensional look and help the white and brown peek out from under the color.


Now here's a helpful tip.  Using E6000 glue, attach a soda can tab to the back of the plate.  Let them dry overnight.



 So having to take a photo of them was the most difficult part.  I found a wide worn out board in the garage that was perfect for the display.  Gave it a quick sanding to smooth our the rough spots and a oil rub to bring out the color and then I attached three nails and hung the plates on it from their soda can tabs.  

The Christmas holiday is a ways away yet, heck I just got my fall decor up so this little location was easy to swap out for a bit of a wintery look and then swap back to fall.  



Yep I have a dresser in my house that is not painted.....and missing a knob.... why you ask?  Because I'm always too busy painting for everyone else that I never get my own done.  Kinda like a mechanic who's car is past due for an oil change or a carpenter who's house has no trim..... same thing.





I gave each of the plates some dark wax for a dirty vintage look, here you can see the details.



That red wall has got to go..... maybe this weekend I'll get time to paint it.


What treasure can you find in the trash...... later







No comments:

Post a Comment