Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Trash to Treasure Tuesday - Step Stool

I hit my favorite second hand store on Friday and run into my very good junkin' friend.  We had a good time complaining about the prices on the "junk" in the store, but we also found some good deals and snatched them up.  KR found this step stool and said "here's one for you painted photographer"


So of course I couldn't wait to start on it.  I had a new look I wanted to try out on something flat and boring.  This was it.  

I pour some Rust-Oleum Orange onto a paper plate and let it sit to get thick and dry.

I painted the stool with Amy Howard Vintage Affliction on top of the already white paint.  The Vintage Affliction got a solid coat but could be streaky because that wasn't going to be the final paint color.  

When the Vintage Affliction was totally dry I sloppily put on the thick crusty Rust-Oleum Orange.  I didn't hit everything, I just slopped it on and in some spots it was puddled.



Waiting for thick puddled paint is a long process so make sure you have another project to keep you busy.  I had about 14 going that night so I was just fine.  



when the paint is about 80% dry I took a paint scraper and distressed the paint on the edges and the flat surfaces.  Making sure to scrape down to the white paint and get globs of thick paint built up on the scraper.  Then push it back onto the stool.  Scrape and push, scrape and drag, scrape and pray you're not messing this up.  Exactly what I did but probably more of the later.  John had ventured off to the neighbors so at least I didn't have to listen to him tell me I ruined it.  You're going to get all the colors of the paint scraping up and making a thick mess.   I think the Amy Howard paint is such a nice smooth hard paint that it helped to peek it through without scraping it all off.

Ignore the dirt on my floor, it fell off the wreath I put on the bench and thought I pushed it out of the way...... 


After thinking this wasn't working and ready to give up I just globbed the paint in various patterns and let it dry overnight.


The next morning I had a 1 year old photoshoot and thought I needed to use the stool.   So I ran out to the garage to grab it just the way it was.  The little boy would be sitting on it so it really didn't matter that I ruined it.  But I had to clear and dark wax it just to make sure


I love it.  I love the globs of paint, the Base White and Amy Howard Vintage Affliction showing through, and the dark wax that gives it depth.


On Sunday Melanie and Junior thought this was the best stool ever.  Of course they liked it because it was easy to crawl on and stand on top of it.  The mom's liked it because it sturdy and wide enough for them to be safe.  So it has the seal of old time painted look and function... it will be for sale but for right now I think I will enjoy it for a bit longer.


Another fun Trash to Treasure Tuesday and a new way to paint.         
Later...

2 comments: