Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Amy Howard at Home - 1st Experience

Recently I was asked to try out a new paint line that our ACE Hardware was selling.  The paint line is called Amy Howard at Home.  I’ve never heard of the paint line so being me I couldn’t wait to open all 3 cans of paint and get started.  The first thing you do is turn the cans over for 30 minutes and then stir all the yummy ingredients together. 

Chalk paint is bit thicker than regular paint but after you learn how to use it you'll grow to love that thickness.  I loved the colors and the feel of the paint on my brush and was excited to make a transformation with these plain ole' wood bowls. 



I painted a wood bowl in each color that was given to me.  Some pieces will need more than 2 coats for desired coverage, I chose 3 coats on the wood bowls just because I like the rich color contrasting with the dark wood that I didn’t paint.  
My next step was to distress, I’m a distress lover but you do not have to distress if you like the full coverage look.  The paint distressed very well and blended the edges like the distress had been done with years of touching and rubbing.  A nice old worn look but while distressing the color becomes dull and lifeless, don’t worry…. the next steps will take care of it.   
Next process is to wax the paint after distressing.  If you chose to not distress the paint you can skip the waxing but why?????  This is my favorite part.  I LOVED Amy Howard Light Antiquing Wax, it was smooth and buttery and went on well with a lint free rag.  For the bowls I rubbed the wax with full coverage, I do not recommend this technique with larger items unless you want your arms to look like Popeye’s.  The wax is a bit sticky when putting it on but wait the desired 15 minutes and with a lint free rag buff the wax and it becomes a smooth matte finish that is heavenly to the touch.  The way this wax feels and looks after a little elbow grease, kinda like polishing a shoe, is amazing.  Not that I ever polished shoes but I can imagine it’s the same process. 
So let’s admire the little beauties with their new look.  
The colors are Spa White, Tick Tock and Charm School



To see and feel these bowls in person head on over to Medford’s ACE Hardware Store located within County Market and check them out.  Let them know Connie sent you and if you liked the information keep checking back for more tips and treasure adventures I happen to find.  


Later.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment