Thursday, September 24, 2015

It's Fall Y'all

Fall is not my favorite season but it's my second favorite as long as it's warm, dry and pretty.  There is something about putting on long pants, sweatshirts and socks that makes you feel all cozy.

I love to watch the colors start to turn and then fall to the ground in piles, nice big piles preferable on top of a big blue tarp that I could lay on the ground so no raking would be involved this year..... dreaming for sure I know.

I'm not much of a holiday decorator but I do like to change things out for the seasons.  Buying gourds  that I like is somewhat of a challenge..... well that is when they are fake and under $2 a piece.  They look something like this.  Yep them is ugly.....


BUT then.....

I found these at a second hand store, they are real, just very old and only .25 a piece...... SCORE.


As I've said before...... I'll paint anything so the new gourds got a face lift with Chalk Paint.   I'm kinda stuck on white even though it's fall I still am liking the white worn out look for fall.  
I used Linen White Rust-Oleum Chalked Paint and gave them a pretty good coverage.  If I missed a couple spots or creases that's okay I was looking for a shabby chic look anyway.  I then gave them  quick sanding bringing out more of the shabby....


Then brushed a very thin coat of Valspar SealingWax, after about 2 minutes I brushed on the Valspar Antique Wax for the dirty look.  Buffed off some of the Antique and let them dry to the touch.  I love how the dark wax brings out the brush strokes and unevenness of the paint.



Quite the difference huh?  Now this cheap plastic gourd is looking good enough for center stage.  

The old gourds I just gave a dry brush with the Linen White with clear and dark wax and they are all looking like they belong together.  


A few berries and partridge feathers in a bowl




I'll come back later and share the entire centerpiece with you, right now my paintbrush is calling me.  Later......




No comments:

Post a Comment