Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Snickers Tin - Trash to Treasure Tuesday

A stunning cookie tin that will look fantastic on your cupboard and if you're a grandma it could be a favorite with the grandchildren.... when it's full of course.


This tin reminds both John and I of a tin his mother had on her cupboard, it was always full of Snickers snack size candy bars.  John hates chocolate so he didn't remember what was in it but I do.  Whenever there was a health issue with his dad or her she would tease about having to stock up on Snickers since they were a favorite for everyone and extra company meant more Snickers were eaten.  

One time I remember her giving me a Snickers from that tin is when we had to go tell her and dad some news.  As we sat down she could see I needed a pick-me-up so she handed me a Snickers from the tin.  Our news was difficult and I wasn't able to eat the candy bar so I set it on the end table in the living room.  That candy bar sat in the exact same spot for a good year or two.  It was a reminder for her about the news we shared.  Shocking news but wonderful news.... our first grandchild was born, we had 20 minutes to adjust to the news and so far 12 1/2 years to enjoy every minute of her.  Grandma Great's Snickers have gotten us through good times, bad times and in our case an amazing life.

  I'm not sure what happened to the tin but it sure is a memory for us as I hope this one will be for someone as well.  Maybe they will stock it with Snickers.


Painted with Amy Howard Nottaway.
Distressed very heavily to show wear from the hundreds of times a Snickers was enjoyed.
Clear and Dark Wax for some more wear.


I just love that little bird I found at a second hand store, he's a salt shaker and he's a treasure of mine that won't ever see paint.  


In case you didn't see this tin from last weeks finds here it is again before it got a good cleaning with all the grease and grim that was left behind.  Chalk paint does not need any prep work but making sure the piece is clean MUST be done.  Grease and paint are not friends.



I'd love to keep this tin for a reminder of Grandma Great but it's not her tin and I can't keep Snickers in it at my house.  I'm not sure how she didn't eat them all but I would.  I'm known as the Fruit Snack and Juice Box Grandma to my grandchildren.... Gotta have them at all times and grandma usually sneaks at least one in their hand as they say good bye.  


 So this tin heads to the store this week along with many other painted treasures.

What will your grandchildren remember you having for treats during their visits?   Make it memorable.  

Later....


No comments:

Post a Comment