Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Trash to Treasure Tuesday - Recipe Box Makeover

Here we are Tuesday again.... good thing I've been spending a few hours in the garage.  Last weekend I finished up this sweet recipe box and had to bring her in the house for her own little photoshoot.  

Isn't she sweet?


Do you remember how she started?   Pretty plain and solid, not much to show off on your cupboard... not a fun spot for those hand written recipe cards that have been passed down from your mother or maybe even your grandmother.  She just needed some layers of love and paint.



And she's ready to take the job of holding and sharing those special recipes.






I gave her a solid color of yellow and then washed her with a soft aqua/green.  A bit of clear and dark wax to give her a bit more age and I can't take my eyes off her.  


My own recipe box isn't this fun but it was a wedding gift so I won't be switching them.  I don't use my hand written cards very often but when I looked back through them there are recipes in there from my mom and John's mom.  It was fun to look at them again.  I also found a few photos that were tucked in there.  This one of my mom riding Adam's rocking horse the year she gave it to him for Christmas.  



Here you can kinda see the rocking horse she found it at the dump, she scooped it right up and brought it home.  Gave it a fresh coat of paint, made him some new leather ears and gave him to Adam for Christmas when he was 1 year old.  She was a pretty crazy grandma, she was always being silly which is why she is riding the horse....... I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree...... with her love for junk at the dump and being a bit silly.   (don't you just love the Charlie Brown tree behind her..... that was totally her style)


My mom died 6 months after this was taken..... The horsey still gives my grandchildren hours of fun and as much as he needs painting again it just won't happen.  Somethings are meant to remain a memory from those we love.

Here is another one I found in there of mom.  The grandkids always wanted her to play the piano so they could sit with her and sing.  Lynn standing, Shannon sitting on moms right and Marcus behind her.  

I love that I found these memories, they were found on a day I was missing her. 



Back to the star of the post.  Her insides are the soft aqua/green and my waffles card seems to always make the front row. 




I don't think I need to brag her up anymore, she is beautiful.


What memories do you have in your recipe box?     Later....

No comments:

Post a Comment